Why is insulating your garage door important? Well, an insulated garage door has protection from outer elements. You won’t have to worry about rain, snow, moisture, and insects entering your garage if you have an insulated garage door.
Here is a helpful guide to insulating your garage:
- Choose the best insulation material. There are ready-to-use insulation kits and tools that you can buy from the local hardware store or from online sites or you can just buy polystyrene or polyurethane foam sheathing which is a very good insulating material. Other options are weather strips insulation device or the more common and easier to use, reflective foil.
- Preparation before insulation process. Before doing the insulation of your garage door, make sure that you are dressed appropriately to avoid any accidents. You should also wear the necessary protective gears such as gloves or goggles when insulating.
- Clear your garage and make space for your task at hand.
- Measure your door accurately so you can get the right amount of insulating materials that you need for your garage door.
- Start the insulation process. If you are using the ready-to-use insulating kit, make sure that you read the instruction carefully and follow it precisely. But if you bought the foam and other materials, start the insulation process by cutting the foam according to your door’s measurement. Put the foam on areas or side of the door where air can enter and use aluminum tape to put in in place and to cover it. Repeat the process for all sides of the garage door.
- After the insulation process, test your garage door insulation. Close your door and check for any air passage. If you find that there is still a passage for air to come in, put more insulation in that area. You should also check for noise reduction. Get in your garage and check if the noise from the street can still be heard inside. Add additional insulation if necessary and if you want more sound insulation.